One way of curtailing your overall expenses is to buy cheap car insurance. Even though you very well cannot avoid buying insurance for your vehicle you could still reduce the amount of premium you pay. One approach to getting cheap auto insurance is to cut down on your overall coverage. This is no doubt a risky approach since it exposes you to major expenditure in case you end up having an auto accident. Another approach is to ask and qualify for all possible discounts offered by insurers. Most people use a combination of both approaches to reduce the amount of premium they pay.
The following tips will help you minimize your insurance payments:
1. Most car insurance companies give a discount to people who drive less than a specific number of miles every year because of the assumption that they are less likely to have an accident; the limit varies according to the insurer. You should try to stay within this limit by using public transportation or carpooling whenever possible.
2. Take only as much insurance as you need. For instance, if you already have medical insurance then you do not need to take a car insurance policy that will pay your medical bills. Limit your policy to covering the cost of repairing a vehicle involved in a collision and also medical costs of other people involved in the accident caused by you.
3. Avoid filing minor claims with your insurance company. You can probably get them repaired for a small fee and will therefore be allowed to ask for a ‘no-claim’ bonus or discount.
4. On a related note, you should keep your deductable very high in order to reduce premiums. You’ll have to pay out of your pocket for small expenses but you will at least get insurance cover for major accidents.
5. Do not pay for insurance cover that offers towing or a spare car. It is cheaper to get your car towed away if you ever need to do it. If you have another vehicle or easy access to public transportation or a shared ride then you will not even need the spare car.
As you can see, there are quite a few things that you can do in order to get cheap car insurance. It is definitely necessary to do some homework before you renew your auto insurance because you will save quite a bit of money this way without depriving yourself of the cover you need.